CALLING ALL SCIENTISTS
2019/2020 FAMELAB CYCLE IS OPEN
VIDEO ENTRIES CLOSE 13 NOVEMBER 2019
Share your passion for your science, develop your science communication, confidence and public engagement skills! And stand a chance to win great prizes and a trip to the UK!
What is FameLab?
FameLab is an international competition designed to engage and entertain by challenging young scientists to communicate their science to a public audience in under 3 minutes. Talks are fun and engaging, making science relevant to everyone, without using jargon or formal presentations. Talks are judged on content, clarity and charisma.
Who can enter?
Entrants must be 21 to 35 years of age and currently registered, studying or working in science, technology, engineering or mathematics in South Africa.
Why should you enter?
- Enhance your presentation skills through competition and training by some of the world’s best science communicators.
- Network with scientists from diverse disciplines.
- Be part of the growing community of passionate scientists, from around the world.
- Get noticed – put your science on a national and international platform.
How can you enter?
There are multiple heats taking place around the country. Register online to participate at an institutional or public heat, by completing the registration form. Visit https://www.britishcouncil.org.za/famelab for more info.
- If you don’t find a heat near you, you can submit a video entry to stand a chance to have your travel sponsored to the Innovation Bridge Science Forum SA heat in December 2019. Video entries close 13 November 2019.
How do I submit a video entry?
- Film yourself using your cell phone or other device giving a 1-2 minute talk about your science. Think about the FameLab criteria of Content, Clarity and Charisma.
- Position your camera at an appropriate distance so we can see your hand gestures, but not too far away so we can’t see your expressions.
- Send your video by Whataspp to 076 173 7130 by 13 November 2019.
- You could be sponsored to attend the heat at Innovation Bridge Science Forum South Africa.
Where are there heats?
Heats are running between August 2019 and March 2020. The institutional heats are organised by partner organisations for the representatives of that institution. Open heats are open to all, regardless of institutional affiliation. Each heat is preceded by a science communication and public speaking workshop in order to develop skills, prepare participants and instil confidence.
*Free State heat (UFS)
13, 14 November 2019
Nano (Polymer Processing Conference)
18, 19 November 2019
Pretoria (CSIR ICC)
University of Venda
22, 23 November 2019
*Innovation Bridge Science Forum South Africa
2-6 December 2019 (TBC)
Pretoria (CSIR ICC)
University of Pretoria
4, 5 February 2020
*University of Limpopo
19, 20 February
UL Science centre, Turfloop campus
University of Witwatersrand
Tshwane University of Technology
26, 27 February
More to be confirmed
Those marked with * are open heats
What can you win?
- National winner will receive a R5 000.00 cash prize and travel to the UK International finals.
- National runners-up will win R2 500.00 cash prize each.
- Semi-finalists will receive science communication masterclass training delivered by world renowned trainers.