The aim of the Natural Science Olympiad® (now in its 10th year) is to identify and nurture talent in Natural Science and to increase the number of learners who opt for Physical Science, Life Science, Accounting and Mathematics at high schools. It also acts as a feeder for SAASTA’s National Science Olympiad for grades 10 – 12, which is now in its 56th year.
The aim of the Olympiad is also to help learners prepare for the year’s upcoming natural science syllabus and showcase some of South Africa’s brightest young scientists in the making. Preparation for the Natural Science Olympiad starts at the beginning of the year, when schools register for the competition and learners start preparing for the examination.
The competition questions encourages all learners, those who love science and those who have never been exposed to the fascinating world of science, to take Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Mathematics at high school level and to consider a career in science, engineering or technology.
ENTER THE 2021 NATURAL SCIENCE OLYMPIAD
1. The link to the entry form is available here .
2. The entry fee for the Natural Science Olympiads is R35.00 per learner per paper.
3. There are two papers to choose from:
a. Natural Science Grades 4-6 and
b. Natural Science grades 7-9
4. All papers are available in both English and Afrikaans
5. The question paper is in the form of a multiple-choice questionnaire.
6. Special arrangements can be made for schools/learners that cannot afford the entry fee. Principals should apply via letter before 04 June 2021. Please use this email address: email@example.com
7. The Natural Science Olympiad will include 50% of the school curriculum.
Download Past Papers
- Natural Science Grade 4-6 Results 2019
- Natural Science Grade 7-9 Results 2019
- The 6th Natural Science Olympiad Results
- The 5th Natural Science Olympiad Results
Paper or Online
Life Science (Grades 10 – 12)
Pencil and paper
Tuesday, 28 September 2021
Physical Sciences (Grades 10 - 12)
Pencil and paper
Thursday, 30 September 2021
Natural Sciences (Grades 4 – 6)
Pencil and paper
Tuesday, 19 October 2021
Natural Sciences (Grades 7 – 9)
Pencil and paper or online
Thursday, 21 October 2021
Although the prizes are significant, most of the past participants have noted that it was participation in the Natural Science Olympiad that was most important to them as it exposed them to fascinating new knowledge. There are different categories in which learners will compete for prizes.
Learners could win:
• Certificates will be awarded to learners obtaining 50% and above. Due to Covid-19, the usual focus week (to which the top learners are invited in Gauteng) will not take place in 2021.
1. All learners should be entered before the closing date of 28 May.
2. The Natural Science Olympiad examination will be written from 09:00 – 12:00 under your supervision at the school
3. Results and certificates are sent to schools.
4. SAASTA will ensure that question papers are distributed to schools before the examination and that the answer sheets are collected after the examination has been written.
5. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Officials: Ms Zinzi Madiope / Mrs E Taljaard.