The aim of the Natural Science Olympiad® (now in its 11th year) is to identify and nurture talent in Natural Science and to increase the number of learners who opt for Physical Science, Life Science, Accounting and Mathematics at high schools. It also acts as a feeder for SAASTA’s National Science Olympiad for grades 10 – 12, which is now in its 57th year.
The aim of the Olympiad is to help learners prepare for the year’s upcoming natural science syllabus and showcase some of South Africa’s brightest young scientists in the making. Preparation for the Natural Science Olympiad starts at the beginning of the year, when schools register for the competition and learners start preparing for the examination.
The competition questions encourages all learners, those who love science and those who have never been exposed to the fascinating world of science, to take Physical Sciences, Life Sciences and Mathematics at high school level and to consider a career in science, engineering or technology.
How to enter the competition
1. The entry fee for the Natural Science Olympiads is R35.00 per learner per paper.
2. There are two papers to choose from, i.e. Grades 4-6 and Grades 7-9
3. Only learners in grade 4-6 and 7-9 may enter respectively.
4. All papers are available in both English and Afrikaans
5. Link to online registration platform: https://olympiad.saasta.ac.za
- Special arrangements can be made for schools/learners that cannot afford the entry fee. Principals should apply via letter by 31 May 2022 and email it to email@example.com
- Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions: Officials: Ms Zinzi Madiope / Mrs Erna Taljaard Tel: 012 392 9300
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Please motivate your learners to experience the thrill of competing with others from all nine (9) provinces around the country in the Natural Science Olympiad.
• Help coordinate learners participation in this event.
• Help your learners prepare by accessing Olympiad papers from previous years
- October 2019: Natural Science Grade 4-6 Results 2019
- October 2019: Natural Science Grade 7-9 Results 2019
- November 2016: Brilliant Learners Treated to a Week Filled with Exciting Science
- October 2016: The 6th Natural Science Olympiad Results
- March 2016: The 5th Natural Science Olympiad Results
- January 2015: Natural Science Olympiad: Where budding young scientists show off their talents
1. The Natural Science Olympiad comprises of two papers, namely Grades 4-6 and Grade 7-9.
2. Minimum 50% of the paper will be based on CAPS
3. The paper consists of 100 multiple questions
4. Duration: 3 hours (09:00 – 12:00)
5. All learners must be entered by the closing date
6. Papers will be sent to schools
7. Educators will courier answer sheets to SAASTA. An envelope will be provided for this purpose
8. Results and certificates are sent to schools.
9. Certificates will be awarded to learners obtaining 50% and above
10. Electronic participation certificates will be sent to the educator for leaners obtaining less than 50%
Prizes/awards are given to deserving learners during the Science Olympiad Award Giving Ceremony.
The categories are:
• Top three National Winners
• Provincial Winners (Excluding top National Winners)
• Top girl learner
• Top grade 4, 5, 7 and 8 learner
Download Past Papers
Ms. Erna Taljaard
Ms. Zinzi Madiope