Call For Papers
2019 CONFERENCE THEME
“STEMI OLYMPIADS AND COMPETITIONS: 25 YEARS OF DEMOCRACY”
With the aim of advancing STEMI Olympiads and Competitions in South Africa, we invite authors to submit research papers or talks on the following sub-themes:
- Inclusivity in STEMI Olympiads and Competitions, brought about by the dawn of democracy, highlighting more inclusive demographics and sharing success stories, challenges and opportunities;
- Case studies of STEMI Olympiads and Competitions and/or related extra-curricular activities, which have influenced participation and career choices of learners and students;
- STEMI Olympiads and Competitions in a technologically changing environment and how people (learners) access information and learn;
- Lifelong learning through volunteering, coaching and mentoring.
Where presentations will profile collaboration, cooperation, outreach and mentoring, co-presentations are encouraged. Where presentations profile both mentor and mentee, both should be present at the conference / workshop session to share experiences from both sides of the relationship.
The aim of the conference theme is to:
1. Contribute to learning and growth in knowledge
2. Celebrate success
3. Be a platform for free and open discussions about shortcomings and unpack the possible reasons for limited successes
4. Be self-reflective rather than deflecting blame