The aim of the Natural Science Olympiad is to identify and nurture talent in Natural Science, Life Science and Accounting; to increase the number of learners who opt for Physical Science, Life Science, Accounting and Mathematics at high schools; and to act as a feeder for SAASTA’s National Science Olympiad for grades 10 – 12, which is now in its 53rd year.
The aim of the Olympiad is also to help learners prepare for the year’s upcoming natural science syllabus and showcase some of South Africa’s brightest young scientists in the making.
Preparation for the Natural Science Olympiad starts at the beginning of the year, when schools register for the competition and learners start preparing for the examination.
The national paper will be written on 11 May 2017. After that, the national and provincial winners, the top girl learner, the top learner per grade, and the representatives from top performing schools in the different categories visit the National Zoological Gardens and Sci-Enza Science Centre at the University of Pretoria and attend the award ceremony in Gauteng, courtesy of SAASTA.
The competition questions are designed to encourage all learners, those who love science and those who have never been exposed to the fascinating world of science, to take Physical Sciences and Mathematics at high school level and to consider a career in science, engineering or technology.
Enter the 2017 Natural Science Olympiad
Four easy steps to enter
- Complete the entry form and return it to SAASTA as soon as possible.
- Complete the attached form and return it to SAASTA (with a duplicate copy) as soon as possible.
- Schools should confirm the number of learners entered in the Olympiad on the entry form. The entry fee for learners is R10.00
- All entry forms should be faxed to 086 636 7729 or 086 211 4077 or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- It is the school’s responsibility to check by email or fax if SAASTA has received their entry forms immediately after faxing or posting the entry forms. Failing to do so, any request for refunds will not be entertained.
- Schools should follow up with SAASTA concerning delivery of exam papers a week prior to the exam.
- Examination answer sheets will be collected within a week after the examination is written, failing which SAASTA should be notified in writing immediately.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions:
• Tel: (012) 392 9300 / 9360
• E-mail: email@example.com
The examination date is 11 May 2017.
Although the prizes are significant, most of the past participants have noted that it was participation in the Natural Science Olympiad that was most important to them as it exposed them to fascinating new knowledge.
Each learner receives a certificate with their results after the Olympaid. The following special prizes are also be given out to the following top performers:
- Top girl learners
- Top performing schools
- National winners
- Top learner per grade